Saturday 20 February 2010

The End


In celebration of Chinese New Year our last cooking workshop was at Knightsbridge Primary school. We taught the children, the cultural traditions of Chinese New Year and how to make "Chinese dumplings." Chinese dumplings is one of the most important dishes for Chinese people during Chinese New Year as they symbolise wealth and good fortune.


Here we have the students eagerly waiting for Foong Yue (Chef) to teach them how to make dumplings.


The children were really enthusiastic and worked hard to make lovely dumplings. (^_^)


I was really surprised at how well they made the them as I honestly thought that they would have trouble. I guess I should never underestimate children. (-_-)


Now it's time to cook the dumplings because everyone is hungry, especially me as I had to wake up at 6:30AM and had no breakfast. (´ー`)


Whilst we wait for Foong Yue to cook the dumplings, me and Ching gave a presentation on Chinese New Year. I also taught the children how to say "Happy New Year" and "I wish you good fortune" in Cantonese which they learnt really quickly. Children would traditionally receive lucky money in red envelopes on Chinese New Year so I rewarded them with a red envelope and treats for their efforts. (^_^)


Hurray! The dumplings are ready so now I can finally satisfy my hunger! (^_^)


From Left -> Right is Ching, me, Gordon and Foong Yue. Only half the team were able to make it for this last workshop because unlike our other workshops this one started at 9AM, which meant that they would have to wake up around 5-6AM because they live in East London.


Unfortunately, this will be my last post for the Taste of Happiness. I hope that writing this blog will inspire you to cook and do volunteering work for the community. We started this project in hope to spread the knowledge of Chinese Culture and History, using cookery as a fun way to learn. In addition, we wanted to inspire as many people possible to cook through these workshops. (^_^)

I would like to thank Vcashpoint for funding this project because without the funding it would not be possible to run this project as it's too costly to organise these workshops. Please visit their website if you are interested in starting your own project or doing volunteering work. http://vinspired.com/rewards/vcashpoint


I especially want to thank all the Taste of Happiness team. (^_^) We are all volunteers and don't get paid a penny working on this project but they all still helped out from the start to the end. (^_^) We worked like a family on this project, and without their help there is no Taste of Happiness. It's sadly emotional to see this project end as we've been working on it together since October. It's officially time for me to say good bye and thank you for following our journey on the Taste of Happiness Project. ( ´_ゝ`)

0 comments:

Post a Comment